Friday, August 9, 2013

The Recruiter Experience


I remember being on airforce.com and being so nervous about contacting a recruiter. I searched for the nearest recruiter, then clicked to another screen. I searched again, and then went to the BMT videos. One last time: I found the name of TSgt. Attig and forwarded the contact information to my email, then proceeded to stare at it for a couple of days. I eventually got up the nerve to actually send an email to ask for an appointment to talk about the Air Force. When I did go in, my step-sister was kind enough to come with me.  I was beyond nervous, but felt better once I began listening to what TSgt. Attig had to say.  I took a practice ASVAB test and scored an 85- I was pretty happy with that- haven't taken any type of test in years!  Went over some info about jobs, and enlisting vs officer/dual applications.  When I left I got a folder :)  well that made me happy.  I like to process information- the fact I had a booklet full of information excited me.  What can I say- it's the nerd in me.  I did start thinking about jobs- but everything depends on the score you achieve on the ASVAB. So I researched and began to think about possibilities and whatnot. Lots of fun for me! 

Well, I took that packet home and poured over it and made list after list after list.  I called to have one more meeting and the moment I started talking I knew the decision had been made.  All of my questions were about when I'd leave, what kind of scores I'd need for certain jobs, and things about BMT (basic military training).  I went right home and finished (yes, I had already started without thinking) filling out the application to bring back to my recruiter.  Oh, the hassles that lay in wait for me! 

I knew this already, but if you ever want to know just how large your family is, fill out an application for the military.  Goodness!  Then I had to remember dates and places of where I was in Europe for school (did the best I could!) as well as every other bit of information about my life.  I've never felt so bad about my speeding tickets (all more than 3 years old, thank you!).  Lots of medical history- and realizing how lucky and healthy I was- circling and initialling and denying and explaining... very thorough forms!  Also- if you are interested in joining the military, DON'T MOVE!  EVER!!  Just kidding, but do keep track of your addresses and when you lived where! 

After my recruiter had everything entered, he then ran a credit check, but we went ahead and planned for my visit to MEPS, thinking all would go well.  Oh, that credit check.  Of course, I had a flag- an unpaid bill that had gone to collections!  I tracked that baby down before my recruiter was in the office the next day.  I was charged for something I never had done, but they had sent the bill to an old address so I never got it to fix (as I told the billing lady- I'd hope I'd remember having bloodwork done).  I went ahead and paid it so I could go make a statement at my recruiter's office.  Meanwhile, the medical office is doing their own check and find out they had billed the wrong person all along.  So back I go to get a letter stating that fact.  MEPS had drizzled away- I now required the ok from a commander to be able to go and my recruiter tells me that the oh so necessary commander is on vacation for the next week.  I held it together, but later had a meltdown- it was a frustrating day.  (I'll take the time here to say how much I appreciate the office ladies of Genesis Health Systems in Bettendorf- and the woman who wrote my correcting letter has a son in the military, which is why they rushed it all for me.  Thank you!!!)  Oh, and yes, I was reimbursed for the bill that I paid. :)  I spent a lovely long day with my recruiter getting everything together to send off to the commander for approval- now it came down to waiting. 

Things were finally approved the next week- earlier than I thought!  MEPS was just around the corner!


No comments:

Post a Comment