Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Stop Saying "Sorry!"

There are a few things that I need to change in my vocabulary to adapt to the military way of speaking- or so I hear (and take advice from) my former-military friends and websites I view (Kyle Gott's awesome videos and AimHighErin to name a couple).  Without further ado, my list of necessary changes:

1) Sorry doesn't exist in the service.  Instead, say, "I apologize."  My Navy friend likes to poke fun at me/give me a hard time about this one.  Just trying to help me out!  (I say sorry a lot... especially in the place of excuse me.) 

2) Bathroom. Ladies/Gents. Restroom.  Any form thereof- it's a LATRINE now!  I hope I won't be Latrine Queen...

3) Sir sandwiches- Sir, yes Sir!- big no no!  Reporting statements and Yes/No Sir/Ma'am only.  Prepare for the wrath if you call someone the incorrect gender...

4) Yep. Ok. Yeah. I already have issues with this when I'm on the phone and have been trying to correct myself for 2-3 years...  I'm sure the MTI's won't have such a problem. 

5) Hats shall be called "covers."

6) Smiling/laughing shall be no more!  Military bearing will be instilled in me from Day 1- This, I think, will be tough, as I like to encourage those around me with smiles.  I'm sure we will come up with other signals and such.

7) I'll learn a whole new language of acronyms and military phrases as noted in this article about someone's twin daughters graduating from BMT. 

This all starts the day/night I arrive:


The music is so calming in the beginning... :)
 
What else?  Am I missing anything so far? (Let's be honest, the list is pretty small so far!)  Please comment below and share the wealth!  

No comments:

Post a Comment