Monday, September 16, 2013

Physical Conditioning: Getting Ready

In attempts to prepare for the PT requirements of BMT, I have begun a semi-regimen (it's not exact nor a science quite yet).  Starting June 2013 I began doing the Insanity DVD's with my step-sister.  Oh. My. Goodness.  I couldn't walk normally for a week, and parents of my dance classes would laugh at every cringe- some understood my pain.  BUT that's not all PT is- there is running, also!  Oh glorious running... not.  I have never been a runner.  My fastest mile time in high school was 10:13, I get bored running on the track, and when I listen to music I get way off beat because I start dancing in my head and my body is used to counting and moving with the music.  I have also been told I run like a clydesdale (I'm very grounded- I also use this as an excuse for my poor leaps, yet awesome tap sounds).  It doesn't make a whole lot of sense- I am good with cardio workouts- I even taught BodyJam classes (like Zumba but not as Latin).  My body simply seems to be against running.

Which was fine until I enlisted.  Now I have to run, and run within a time limit.  Along with other requirements, the bare minimum is to run 1.5 miles in 13:56 or less (for females). Doesn't seem that bad, right?  I'm sure it isn't if you are used to running. 

Well, to help with my running I downloaded the C25K app and began following that.  That little voice on the app is far too chipper- she mocks me, I swear!  I haven't been following that as religiously as Insanity, but semi-regularly.  Slowly, my running is showing improvements.  I've read some articles to help with breathing and pace... now I need speed!  My 1.5 miles is under 14 minutes, so that's a plus.

My next step: I just signed up for the Lagomarcino Cocoa Beano 5K in Moline, IL.  Now I'll have a goal to work towards, and a fleece after!  (I like warm things.)  Another perk: motivation.  It's something I've been struggling with since being in the DEP.  My brother is the one who suggested I run it, and I hope to get some other people involved, as well.  When I lack motivation now, I've been able to find other people to help me out, either through the facebook page or people I've just met.  Pretty awesome support :) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment