Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Philosophy Behind it All

Many people have asked me why I joined the Air Force, and understandably so for many reasons.  I've been told I don't seem "military" (is that a compliment or not... I haven't decided), there's a war going on-didn't I know that?, and that I just don't seem like I could take orders.  I've also heard some choice comments of: I'm doing it to get a man (seriously?) I already have a degree- why join? It's pointless; and I apparently will turn into a heartless killer following orders.     
Yeah, I guess that's as far from "military" as it gets...

 
Depending on who was speaking, I ignored some comments and remarks.  Others I took more to heart or felt a "jolt" when they said it.  It was as if that person (no names for a reason) had no faith in me whatsoever.  This person who knew me so well really thinks that?  Instead of believing that person, though, I took on the challenge, "Well, I will prove him wrong!"  Mostly, though, I felt the urge to explain my reasons and hope to expand these limited views on reasons and results of joining the military. 

So- starting from the beginning let's follow my thought process on joining and the philosophy behind it (what?  I have actual, logical reasoning behind this decision?- who knew!).  I had never before intended to join the Air Force, or any other branch of the military.  I remember a call in high school from an Air Force recruiter to whom I literally laughed about the idea of me enlisting.  Joke's on me!  My stepmother is actually the one that gave me the idea to look into the Air Force again during the spring of 2013.  My hours had just been reduced dramatically from my "main" parttime job, I had been trying for a while to find a fulltime job unsuccessfully, and I was dissatisfied with the living from paycheck to paycheck for 4 years since graduating college- College!  I'm a college grad who is struggling with what to do.  I need to pay off student loans, so I didn't want to go to grad school to incur more.  The whole job thing put a damper on paying off the current loans.  Quite frankly, I was sick of it.  Am sick of it.  People around me with no goals made it so easy for me to ignore my own.  I wasn't moving forward- I was stuck.  Dormant.  Lethargic.  hmmm.  Air Force you say?  If you read this entry, you will see how nervous I was about talking to the recruiter and going through that process.  What I love most about the Air Force after speaking to the recruiter and researching on my own has to be the core values:  Integrity First, Service Before Self, and Excellence in All We Do.  If you read through them, you will see exactly what I've been missing in my civilian work and home life.  On top of that, since DEPping in, I have joined multiple groups on Facebook devoted to the Air Force- DEP, AFWingMoms, and a group for women in the Air Force.  The support is phenomenal.  Any questions, concerns, worries- everything can be addressed and you have instant friends and acquaintances who just want to make your journey better/easier/supported. 

But, I'm getting a little off topic.  So:  more on the philosophical reasoning behind joining the Air Force.




Yes, I sit and pondered all this by the window.

 
 
While at Saint Mary's, I took an Intro to Philosophy course.  We studied the history, famous philosophers, and how we could apply that knowledge to our decisions today.  I couldn't tell you a lot of details right now, but the gist is what is important.  The lesson that stuck with me most was the idea of keeping/taking what you need to survive and pass on or share anything extra to those who need it.  Don't buy all the luxury items, spend time doing things that aren't beneficial to anyone else, etc.  I catch myself thinking about this a lot.  I live paycheck to paycheck, but do what I can for others- donate when I can and participate in for-charity auctions, that kind of thing.  What else is there, though?  The Air Force is another answer to this philosophical question.  I will be able to use my skills, experiences, intelligence, and training to benefit those around me.  I can provide a positive impact on the world- a measurable one, at that.  Positive impact is something I strive for, especially when I work with my dance students, college students, or my friends' children.  Though very nervous for BMT, I hope that I can have a positive impact on my fellow wingmen, particularly the younger ones who may be more nervous than I am. 
 
The benefits of the Air Force will be wonderful, as well.  I can't say I didn't consider them at all, but they were not a main push for my enlistment.  The ability to get a second bachelor's degree and a master's is quite exciting- I am a lifelong learner.  :) 
 
When I broke the news to one of my prior-military students he laughed in my face, "Enlisting?! Get ready for a pay cut!"  Actually, no it's not, but thank you for thinking you know more about my financial situation than I do and assuming that I haven't studied the ranks of pay already.  I was also pushed to go officer by several people.  Again, thanks for the input but I know myself, what I'm currently capable of (both as an officer/applicant and during the process of application- hectic time!), and what I want to get out of my career in the Air Force.  Enlisting gave me the best option for now, and I'll pursue different opportunities as they present themselves. 
 
If anyone reading this is considering joining the military, I'll end this post with this advice:  Make your own decisions.  You will certainly hear many opinions and ideas, and yes, they will have an effect on you.  But do your research, think carefully about your goals, make a pro/con list (I made several- I was obsessed), and in the end make the best decision for YOU.  Don't do it just for the benefits or the money, because you may not enjoy your experience if you enlist for the wrong reasons.  Take those rose colored glasses off and research/think/debate/consider all you can!   
 

 
Source here.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment